Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
An eastern Asian tree that belongs to the laurel family and serves as the chief natural source of camphor.
- ‘A tall and flourishing camphor tree of 500 years old is believed to bless the village.’
- ‘The most striking objects at the site, however, are the nine boat-shaped caskets, each carved from a single trunk of a camphor tree.’
- ‘Forestry workers in east China's Jiangxi province have found an extremely large camphor tree, believed to be over 2,000 years old.’
- ‘We have two large camphor trees on our property.’
- ‘Within the grounds of the hotel there are many huge trees, among them 44 camphor trees that are more than 300 years old.’
- ‘The wood for the sculptures came from juniper and camphor trees which were uprooted during typhoons last year and sent drifting on the ocean near Hualien and Taitung.’
- ‘The yard is surrounded by luxuriantly green camphor trees, which isolates it from the noise on bustling nearby Huaihai Zhonglu.’
- ‘Of course, while the town has prospered, the local camphor tree population has dwindled.’
- ‘While the Arboretum contains trees from all over the world, including date palms, camphor trees from Japan, Mexican Cyprus, wellingtonia from California.’
- ‘Dad encourages Satsuki and Mei to show their respect for the great camphor tree and the spirits it holds.’
- ‘The area, covering 40,000 square metres, will have about 1,500 trees of various kinds including camphor trees, magnolia and pointed zelkova.’
- ‘The previous factory used to boast a road lined with camphor trees, whose crowns shaded the whole road.’
- ‘You can see a camphor tree believed to be over 1,400 years old in the middle of the wall and have a cup of tea in a stall on the mountain.’
- ‘The zhangshu, or camphor tree, was a highly valued cash crop in Fujian throughout the republican period.’
- ‘In protest, the society built tree houses in the two camphor trees to prevent them from being transplanted.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.