One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
An open-air fire in a camp, used for cooking and as a focal point for social activity.
- ‘There were, to be sure, evening campfires with stories told in the camaraderie of the moment, and feasts and merriment when the travellers returned to the post after a year in the wilderness.’
- ‘Erica glanced up at Dan whose face was illuminated by the flames of campfires.’
- ‘A few lights from campfires at the canyon campground flickered in the distance.’
- ‘He saw her stirring the embers of the dying campfire and tiptoed stealthily up behind her.’
- ‘He pointed to a little campground with a designated campfire place and some benches.’
- ‘While we're on a musical note, the campfire song Kumbaya is said to be Angolan.’
- ‘He was quiet as he sat at the campfire those nights, staring fixedly at the flames.’
- ‘From arranging holiday wreaths and making bird biscuits to building campfires, all of these activities make for good old-fashioned fun.’
- ‘Around campfires that blazed in the bright sunshine old friends caught up on the events since last October's fair and discussed their plans for the next six months.’
- ‘I could tell you how wonderful it was to sit around a campfire and sing all those old songs.’
- ‘It was a nice camp out in the woods, with canoes, campfires and songs.’
- ‘Our guides will share their stories, and they'll teach us songs and social dances at our nightly campfires.’
- ‘The three set off on a road trip that consisted of tequila shots, flirting and ghost stories around the campfire.’
- ‘Prosecutors say she told them that while she was on patrol enforcing a ban on campfires, she went to a campfire site, burned a letter from her estranged husband and lost control of the fire.’
- ‘For thousands of years, people have been huddled around the campfire, telling stories.’
- ‘One camp I know eliminated its weekly campfires because too many campers complained that they were boring.’
- ‘Take extra care when having campfires / barbecues in the countryside, as fire spreads very rapidly over open ground.’
- ‘As the rest of the party sat down near the campfire, Jonathan started moving away.’
- ‘However, at many public parks and forests, campfires are permitted only in established fire rings cleared of all flammable materials.’
- ‘During the night, many times at camp, there would be several campfires and the Texans would surround it, talking, and joking of their lives back home.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.