One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The art or practice of bell-ringing.
- ‘Gissing refers to Haweis's work on campanology in a letter to his brother William on 26 February 1880.’
- ‘He enjoyed several sports, skiing, and horse riding as well as campanology.’
- ‘Thus was he able to perceive connections between such seemingly disparate aspects of music as plainsong, electronics, extended piano techniques and campanology.’
- ‘Think of the etiquette of gambling casinos on display in the James Bond series or the erudition about everything from campanology to advertising agencies in Dorothy Sayers's Peter Wimsey books.’
- ‘As well as symphonies he wrote books on astronomy and campanology.’
Mid 19th century: from modern Latin campanologia, from late Latin campana ‘bell’.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.