Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
The art or practice of bell-ringing.
- ‘As well as symphonies he wrote books on astronomy and campanology.’
- ‘Think of the etiquette of gambling casinos on display in the James Bond series or the erudition about everything from campanology to advertising agencies in Dorothy Sayers's Peter Wimsey books.’
- ‘Gissing refers to Haweis's work on campanology in a letter to his brother William on 26 February 1880.’
- ‘Thus was he able to perceive connections between such seemingly disparate aspects of music as plainsong, electronics, extended piano techniques and campanology.’
- ‘He enjoyed several sports, skiing, and horse riding as well as campanology.’
Mid 19th century: from modern Latin campanologia, from late Latin campana ‘bell’.
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.