Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
The art or practice of bell-ringing.
- ‘Think of the etiquette of gambling casinos on display in the James Bond series or the erudition about everything from campanology to advertising agencies in Dorothy Sayers's Peter Wimsey books.’
- ‘Gissing refers to Haweis's work on campanology in a letter to his brother William on 26 February 1880.’
- ‘Thus was he able to perceive connections between such seemingly disparate aspects of music as plainsong, electronics, extended piano techniques and campanology.’
- ‘He enjoyed several sports, skiing, and horse riding as well as campanology.’
- ‘As well as symphonies he wrote books on astronomy and campanology.’
Mid 19th century: from modern Latin campanologia, from late Latin campana bell.
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.