One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
An evergreen eastern Asian shrub related to the tea plant, grown for its showy flowers and shiny leaves.
Genus Camellia, family Theaceae: several species, in particular the common camellia (C. japonica), which has numerous cultivars and hybrids
- ‘There are also many flowers and shrubs including tree heather, azaleas and camellias, while the two large greenhouses include an apricot and peach tree, nectarine trees, tomatoes and vines.’
- ‘Gardenias like an acidic soil and so grow well with camellias, azaleas and rhododendrons.’
- ‘‘It does have the Japanese plants, though,’ she says, including camellias, acers, azaleas and ferns.’
- ‘Camellia japonica, like most camellias, needs a site shaded from morning sun, sheltered from icy winds, and with moisture in the soil sufficient to prevent bud drop in autumn and winter.’
- ‘Shrubs with waxy leaves, such as camellias, gardenias and ixoras always look fresh and composed.’
- ‘Her romantic garden showcases David Austin roses, hydrangeas, camellias, orange trees and numerous perennial and annual plants.’
- ‘Rhododendrons, most heathers, camellias and many others must have acid soil.’
- ‘The best camellias are usually grown in beds or in areas where the soil and surroundings offer a friendly home for them.’
- ‘These include azaleas, rhododendrons and camellias.’
- ‘Gardenias and camellias had also been suggested as candidates for this honor.’
- ‘The pavilions will house plants from temperate regions of the southern hemisphere such as passion flowers, camellias, banksias, tea trees and wattles.’
- ‘Among the plants in the garden are roses, a white magnolia, camellias, tulips, white primula, blue lobelia and much more.’
- ‘The garden was created by banker Lionel de Rothschild in the 1920s and is famous for its stunning displays of camellias, azaleas and rhododendrons.’
- ‘For something in bloom, choose a camellia, Christmas cactus or moth orchid.’
- ‘Good buys include azaleas, camellias and rhododendrons.’
- ‘The beds are planted with a wide range of trees and shrubs, including acers, camellias, rhododendrons, oaks and beeches, beneath which grow choice perennials and bulbs.’
- ‘With their evergreen, glossy leaves camellias look good year-round and make an excellent backdrop for summer flowering plants.’
- ‘I delight in growing plants from all over the world and can't see anything wrong with siting an Asian camellia next to a Hawaiian hibiscus - their shape, colours and form complement each other nicely.’
- ‘The garden includes ferns, hydrangeas, irises, waterlilies, camellias, rhododendrons, Japanese maples and fuchsias.’
- ‘The shrubs include camellias, hellebores, pieris and hydrangeas, which make a splendid sight when in bloom.’
Modern Latin, named by Linnaeus after Joseph Kamel (Latinized as Camellus), Moravian botanist (1661–1706), who described the flora of Luzon.
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.