Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A portable combined video camera and video recorder.
- ‘Digital cameras and camcorders are well catered for, with installation wizards and simple editing software.’
- ‘They hope a battery of digital cameras and camcorders will capture evidence of the paranormal.’
- ‘The newest form of digital video cameras are DVD camcorders.’
- ‘They also confiscated his camcorder, the third time courts had taken video cameras off him for similar actions.’
- ‘Older analog camcorders only had optical zoom, but new digital video cameras have both optical and digital zoom.’
- ‘However, many of the moments that are captured by camcorders are once-in-a-lifetime and can't be replicated if the disc fails.’
- ‘Schools were supplied with a digital camcorder, tripod, microphone and video editing equipment.’
- ‘The fuel cell, about the same size as a standard rechargeable camcorder battery, was used to operate a camcorder.’
- ‘Dixons said its retail division had strong sales in mobile phones, digital cameras, camcorders, and PC peripherals.’
- ‘But when you set out to capture moments, digital cameras and camcorders win hands down.’
- ‘Camera phones and camcorders from Samsung Electronics may be able to take even sharper images soon.’
- ‘There are monthly draws for camcorders, DVD players and televisions.’
- ‘I remember the growth of video recorders through a recession and camcorders through another recession.’
- ‘The first tour bus of the year has already visited the resort and a number of the passengers made a beeline to the Market Street Car Park armed with their camcorders and cameras.’
- ‘It also operates as a digital camcorder, with up to three minutes of continuous video, and may be used as a PC Camera.’
- ‘A bus pulls up and tourists step out, armed with camcorders and digital cameras.’
- ‘Sony aims to sell 15 million digital cameras and 7 million camcorders this business year.’
- ‘New, tiny digital camcorders make it easier than ever.’
- ‘Digital video camcorders take the analog information in the video camera and then translate it into bytes of data.’
- ‘Much of what is written also applies to using digital video camcorders.’
1980s: blend of camera and recorder.
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.