1(chiefly in names or geographical terms) Welsh.‘the Cambrian Railway’
- ‘The Cambrian Railways were absorbed by the Great Western Railway on 1 January 1922.’
- ‘In 1865 The Cambrian Railway company was formed through an amalgamation of smaller companies.’
- ‘Martin Wright from Ponterwyd has loved the Cambrian Mountains since he was a boy.’
- ‘The Cambrian mountains, almost overwhelmed by conifer plantations, are growing a new kind of forest.’
Relating to or denoting the first period in the Paleozoic era, between the end of the Precambrian eon and the beginning of the Ordovician period.
- ‘Precambrian rocks are those formed before the beginning of the Cambrian period, about 590 million years ago.’
- ‘Others have suggested that there is nothing unusual about Cambrian faunas in terms of their flexibility or disparity.’
- ‘Now that science has progressed and more data becomes available, it is clear that the Cambrian explosion is well explainable in Darwinian terms.’
- ‘He also cites the puzzling Cambrian explosion, a spectacular sunburst of marine animals 540 million years ago that laid the foundations of all subsequent evolution.’
- ‘Sedgwick began fieldwork at Barmouth in north Wales in 1831 where he established the order of local rocks and gave the name Cambrian to the oldest fossiliferous strata.’
- 2.1The Cambrian period or the system of rocks deposited during it.
Mid 17th century: from Latin Cambria Wales variant of Cumbria, from Welsh Cymry Welshman or Cymru Wales.