Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
The part of a machine in sliding or rolling contact with a rotating cam and given motion by it.
- ‘The eccentrics operate a lever between the camshaft and each pair of intake cam followers.’
- ‘The Multi-Displacement System unit replaces a conventional roller cam follower with a hydraulically pressurized design consisting of an outer sleeve and piston unit to which a roller follower is attached.’
- ‘A cam follower is a machine part that moves up and down in contact with a cam on a rotating shaft.’
- ‘Cam Followers have been amongst our best selling products.’
- ‘Very small roller cam followers are installed in the cylinder head to operate the valves instead of the conventional bucket-type tappets, and here friction is cut by about 70 per cent.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.