Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A type of pizza that is folded in half before cooking to contain a filling.
- ‘We started with a feta-stuffed Fatayer, which was described as a ‘pie’, but was more of a calzone, with bready dough rather than pastry.’
- ‘For instance, Luigi must calculate how fast pizza dough falls once it's tossed into the air and how quickly calzones stored in a warehouse will decay.’
- ‘Small, individual-sized calzoni are made by folding circles of dough in half over the filling.’
- ‘Lunchtime pizzas and calzones are superb, particularly the eggplant Parmesan pizza.’
- ‘Besides his gourmet pizzas, Al's is known for calzones.’
- ‘Moon River Pizza also serves calzones, salads and breadsticks and has a beer and wine license.’
- ‘At lunchtime the next day as I sat in my room semi-happily munching on one of Steve's awesome calzone's and shoving books and magazines into packing boxes, my phone rang.’
- ‘‘I can't tell them to go away,’ said Zechariah, swallowing a piece of a calzone.’
- ‘It's great for making bread rolls, pizzas, calzones, and pinwheels.’
- ‘Still chewing on the last of his calzone, the boy led Sam to the corner.’
- ‘Someone in the group opted for gigantic calzone stuffed with roast lamb, potato, kumara, onions and pumpkin while another chose a similar dish with a filling of chicken, cranberry and Brie.’
- ‘The menu also has calzones, hoagies and salads.’
- ‘Zizzi is an Italian restaurant serving mainly pizzas, calzone and pasta.’
- ‘My list includes things like hamburgers, grilled chicken, chili, tacos and calzones.’
- ‘I was offered five or six different kinds of bread, including a vast olive muffin and a mushroom, cheese and ham thing that was all but a calzone.’
- ‘They also make the round, thin crust type, as well as calzones stuffed with spinach, ham and cheese.’
- ‘I picked up calzones and they're getting cold.’
- ‘In addition to an array of pastas, they have pizza, calzones, strombolis and a variety of veal, chicken and seafood dishes.’
- ‘A calzone is a sandwich with bread that is made with pizza dough.’
- ‘Then, use your fingers or a pastry brush to rub the calzones with the mixture.’
Italian dialect, probably a special use of calzone trouser leg with reference to the shape of the pizza.
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.