One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The energy contained in a fuel or food, determined by measuring the heat produced by the complete combustion of a specified quantity of it. This is now usually expressed in joules per kilogram.
- ‘Fishes have high calorific value and are an excellent source of proteins.’
- ‘Tyres have a very high calorific value, comparable to coal.’
- ‘We are more interested in other information, such as calorific value.’
- ‘The calorific value and the coking potential of the coal are decided by other tests.’
- ‘I obviously went for something with a similar calorific value!’
- ‘It comes with a high nutritive and calorific value and is made from pasteurised, homogenised milk.’
- ‘This is because the dry methane has a higher calorific value and there is no waste of unvaporized fluid.’
- ‘They mostly exported salt and Scottish coal, which was high in calorific value and low in sulphur.’
- ‘Those looking to eat healthy will definitely be gratified seeing the calorific values of almost every dish displayed prominently in most stalls.’
- ‘Once we understand how we perceive sweetness, we could think of molecules with no calorific value that trigger the right neurons.’
- ‘Waste plastics have a higher calorific value than coal and as they are hydrocarbons produced from oil they burn easily.’
- ‘I dread to think of the combined calorific value of the assorted boxes of goodies that are currently residing in The Coven Lounge.’
- ‘Salt has no calorific value but is a useful preservative and flavour enhancer.’
- ‘A whole meal can have a total calorific value of 1300-more than half the recommended daily intake of 2100 calories for a 16-year-old girl.’
- ‘One interesting feature was that various types of food were on display, labelled with their calorific values, so that visitors could make an immediate comparison, rather than try to puzzle out details from an impersonal chart.’
- ‘It was in this role that he worked for many years to improve the instruments used to measure the calorific value of gas.’
- ‘Did you know that the calorific value of beeswax is much greater than that of paraffin wax?’
- ‘So, put down that gallon jug, stop yourself from trying to work out the calorific value and macronutrient breakdown of a Korean yam, get out there and enjoy your bodybuilding experience.’
- ‘He has demonstrated that food of the highest quality shows the highest photon transmission, compared with average quality food of identical calorific value.’
- ‘This has kick started an increased interest in calorific values in food and has started him calorie counting.’
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.