Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
1Decorative handwriting or handwritten lettering.
handwriting, writing, script, longhand, letters, penView synonyms
- ‘He handed me a note, folded neatly down the middle and lettered in flowing calligraphy.’
- ‘She picked up the fine blossom and began to read the words written in perfect flowing calligraphy.’
- ‘A sign written in neat calligraphy says that this marks the spot of a village that was destroyed by a flood a year ago.’
- ‘Significantly, this confession of faith is written in the Gujarati script, rather than in Arabic calligraphy.’
- ‘The scriptwork, calligraphy and artwork are nothing short of magical and there is a further treat for bookish types as you get to wander through the barrel vaulted Long Room Library as well.’
- ‘The committee in charge of publicity for the dance put up a poster written in Old English calligraphy.’
- ‘As expressed in painting, writing and calligraphy, the moon inspired many Chinese scholars throughout the centuries.’
- ‘Both clerical and cursive scripts are now regarded as forms of Chinese calligraphy.’
- ‘On the front of the envelope, written in blood-red flowing calligraphy, was one word: Sydney.’
- ‘He was interested in calligraphy, writing his lectures in beautifully drawn characters.’
- ‘Saira opened it and pulled out several parchment sheets covered with calligraphy writing.’
- ‘I also got the opportunity to write some Chinese calligraphy.’
- ‘This attention to detail, beauty, and muscle control can later be transferred to cursive writing and beautiful calligraphy.’
- ‘The inside message was written in red calligraphy by David's own hand.’
- ‘She even made a placard written in calligraphy and in faultless rhyming couplets denouncing the union.’
- ‘Hearing this, Lanz reached into his pants pocket to pull out a small, crisp piece of paper, with something written in calligraphy.’
- ‘Paintings of fruits, flowers, animals, and national anthem written in ornate Urdu calligraphy embellish its forehead.’
- ‘She gently pressed the note in her palm, touching the delicately written calligraphy with her fingertips.’
- ‘Her name had been written in calligraphy across the center of the envelope.’
- ‘It was a simple, yet elegant invitation - all white, with a little emboss of flowers and the information written in calligraphy.’
- 1.1The art of producing decorative handwriting or lettering with a pen or brush.
- ‘Deeply influenced by Chinese traditional calligraphy and paintings, Qin uses the simplest and most compact constructions and patterns.’
- ‘In Kuwait, as in many Islamic countries, the art of calligraphy is one of the most longstanding and thriving forms of expression.’
- ‘It was noted that most students lack a thorough background in typography, lettering and calligraphy.’
- ‘Then on Tuesday the Dorsey women get together for classes in such activities as calligraphy, photography and health cookery.’
- ‘Little essays in this direction were already made in Prospero's Books, with its concern for the art of calligraphy, for what it meant and stood for.’
- ‘They learn calligraphy, they read poetry, they study the philosophers but they refuse to identify with the governments.’
- ‘Some will also give you basic knowledge about the tea ceremony, handicrafts, Chinese calligraphy and painting.’
- ‘Folk arts to be taught include Chinese calligraphy, Chinese painting, paper cutting, paper tearing, knitting and flower arranging.’
- ‘Her desire to further her potential led her to explore the neglected art of calligraphy and she soon mastered the infinite possibilities of the Devanagri script.’
- ‘The tools of calligraphy include accessories such as penholders, brush pots, ink boxes, paperweights, seals and seal boxes.’
- ‘Qianlong proves a generous patron of the arts, supporting classical calligraphy, poetry and painting.’
- ‘The curriculum covers not only language, but Chinese culture as well, including calligraphy and painting.’
- ‘Among contemporary artists, the most popular media are printmaking, calligraphy, and photography.’
- ‘Without doubt a creative person, Robert has tried his hand at calligraphy, oil painting and wood-carving.’
- ‘This is very different from Judo and other Japanese traditions, such as the art of calligraphy.’
- ‘The last piece saw the coming together of the Chinese art of calligraphy with music.’
- ‘Toward the end of the Yuan dynasty, scholar-painters moved on to landscape painting and calligraphy.’
- ‘Many Palestinians are skilled in calligraphy and illustrate verses from the Koran in beautiful designs and sell them at art shows.’
- ‘Later, the guqin was regarded as one of the four required arts for ancient Chinese scholars, including the art of Go, calligraphy and painting.’
- ‘This device is widely used in Chinese calligraphy and painting.’
Early 17th century: from Greek kalligraphia, from kalligraphos person who writes beautifully from kallos beauty + graphein write.
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.