Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A facility that identifies and displays the telephone numbers of incoming calls made to a particular line.
- ‘For example, I have caller ID and when I'll see his name on the display I usually won't pick up.’
- ‘Until the development of caller ID, it was difficult to track the identity of obscene phone callers.’
- ‘The LCD screen displays caller ID information so you can see who's calling before you flip it open.’
- ‘The user dials a telephone number from their mobile, and using caller ID, the system works out who is calling.’
- ‘Sheriff Norwell's phone also had caller ID, and he passed the number on to the police.’
- ‘Switch to the vibrating mode and check your caller ID or capture your messages via voicemail.’
- ‘You must have caller ID blocked on your line or otherwise disabled.’
- ‘On your home phone, do you really wan t to spend $8 a month on caller ID and call waiting?’
- ‘Later in the year the phone company introduced caller ID.’
- ‘Digital phones support new features like caller ID, text messaging or wireless internet services.’
- ‘A popular item, Lee says, is linking telephone caller ID to the television.’
- ‘The package includes voicemail, call forwarding, three-way calls, caller ID and call diversion.’
- ‘The investigation originally focused on a Manila flat where a telephone line, traced with caller ID, is thought to have been used to release the worm.’
- ‘Most mobile networks today offer call forwarding, caller ID and voicemail.’
- ‘It doesn't have caller ID or voice mail, at least one of which would be nice, though I could add them on.’
- ‘But like caller ID and call waiting, once people start using them, they won't get by without them.’
- ‘Beyond traditional phone features such as call forwarding, caller ID and so forth, there are other reasons.’
- ‘These features allow you to decide how calls to a specific number are handled by using caller ID information.’
- ‘If you want to initiate caller ID, you need to get the phone company involved.’
- ‘Shooting an eyebrow upwards, the twenty-three year old checked the number on her cell phone's caller ID.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.