Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
1An invitation to return for a second audition or interview.
summon back, order back, call back, bring backView synonyms
- ‘The list for callbacks is up and we're both on it!’
- ‘I've secured a number of interviews, but very few callbacks.’
- ‘I got a callback for The Secret Garden and so I went to that today.’
- ‘Their chances of receiving a callback rose 30 percent.’
- ‘Right before I left for St. Louis I got the audition for the show and then a callback.’
- ‘Many talented dancers fail to get callbacks because of an artistic director's whim or lack of openings in a dance school or company.’
- ‘I mean, I go on tons of calls and get a lot of callbacks, but so far I've booked only the one movie.’
- ‘He does such a lousy job you don't get the callback until it's over.’
- ‘There were lots of murmurings about the various auditions that have been taking place and how no-one has heard anything about callbacks.’
- ‘First an audition she thought she had blown turns into a callback and a role, then a rival actress is hospitalized opening the door for Sally to take over her role in a popular soap opera.’
- ‘If one does that, it is unlikely one will receive a callback.’
- ‘He was asked to explain himself, and did not receive a callback.’
- ‘For example, a friend who is an actor has recently arrived in the city and is auditioning and getting callbacks like crazy.’
- ‘There's talk of agents, managers, callbacks and walk-ons.’
- ‘They'd both had a callback for their first audition, a show that would air in March.’
- ‘So far I have not had any callbacks, but I have not been aggressive in contacting them because I have been pretty sick lately.’
- ‘I had a day of rehearsal, and I got another callback, and they flew me to L.A.’
- ‘If you love what you do, it will sustain you when you get a disappointing grade on your math test, get cut from the hockey team or don't get the audition callback.’
- ‘You smile as you remember the initial interview, thinking about how you just knew you had nailed that one and were confident you would get a callback for an on-site interview.’
- ‘Auditions were usually held on a Monday with the cast list not posted until Thursday or Friday to allow time for dance auditions, callbacks, and Mr. Alden's inevitable disorganization.’
2A telephone call made to return a call received.
- ‘After placing several calls to one of his handlers, I was more then a little surprised to receive a callback from someone who identified themselves as Tom.’
- ‘And if it's yours, you'll get a callback from the band on your Skype phone.’
- ‘To request an immediate callback, Web users just click a button on-screen.’
- ‘Be certain the Web selling system provides this escalation or safety valve feature so customers can easily request a chat, email or callback from someone.’
- ‘I put calls out concerning an acquaintance of mine who lives in Rockaway, so I'm sort of on tenterhooks waiting for a callback.’
- ‘Until the final callback by Elizabeth to confirm that all was handled well, I was amazed and realized that I could not have spent my money any more wisely.’
- ‘Furthermore, dynamic queue statistics such as position in queue and expected wait time can be provided to tell customers when they can expect to receive the callback.’
- ‘Delay options of 5, 10 or 30 minutes allow time for preparation to receive the callback.’
- ‘After three attempts at promised callbacks from the bank, isn't it amazing the effect that going in to the branch and seeing the people has?’
- ‘She pressed one, when it presented the option of instant callback, and then waited.’
- ‘At 1: 30, I was told I would receive a callback from a supervisor within the hour.’
- ‘When a Web callback is requested, the contact center can then assign the best possible agent to place the phone call while providing the information necessary to help the agent assist the customer.’
- ‘In this way, customers can request a voice Web callback from the agent if necessary.’
3A recall of a defective product.‘ask which products have the most callbacks’
4An emergency call summoning an employee to work after hours.‘uncontrolled air leakage results in increased callbacks’
- ‘The action involves rolling stoppages, a two-day strike, work-to-rule, overtime callback, and on-call duty roster bans.’
A security feature used by systems accessed by telephone, in which a remote user must log on using a previously registered phone number, to which the system then places a return call.
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.