One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
plural nountrademark in UK
treated as singular or plural A system of physical exercises based on small repeated movements.
- ‘Ms. Lewis, a fitness expert and a ballet dancer, has been conducting dance workshops in the city, especially on Callanetics, a fitness programme developed in the U.S.’
- ‘Tracey Habron brims with vibrancy and health, and she does body callanetics.’
- ‘Says Mary Adams of Callanetics In The UK: ‘We have had top athletes and girls who haven't exercised in their lives with both groups doing the same thing at their own pace.’
- ‘I've finally reached that point where I've realised I'm not going to fit into my old clothes for a long while yet, Callanetics or no Callanetics.’
- ‘I spent exactly 48 minutes exercising in a Callanetics studio last year and vowed never to return.’
1980s: named after Callan Pinckney (born 1939), American deviser of the system, perhaps on the pattern of athletics.
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.