One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1The spinachlike leaves of a tropical American plant, widely used in Caribbean cooking.
- ‘The veggie fritters were mild with no discernible taste from the callaloo, only a back kick of geera, hot pepper and a sweet and sour tang from the chutney.’
- ‘The chef, Giorgio Rusconi, roasted red snapper stuffed with a savory mixture of spinachlike callaloo and okra.’
- ‘Before we can start cooking the callaloo, it should be cleaned to get rids of some of the old, dry and less nutrious leaves.’
- ‘Slice medium-sized onions and combine with chopped callaloo and saltfish.’
- ‘There are thousands of unpretentious little beach shacks serving jerk chicken, callaloo and peas'n'rice - all for a couple of pounds.’
- ‘I was quite tired when I made it home after eight, had a nice curried chicken with steamed callaloo and white rice for dinner.’
- 1.1 A soup or stew made with callaloo leaves.
- ‘Cost-conscious and aware of the large serving sizes, my friend and I shared a satisfying meal of rice, callaloo, stew beef, peas and macaroni pie for $28.’
- ‘On one end is the breezy restaurant, where Italian chef Benedetto La Fiura cooks up Carib-Continental dishes like callaloo soup and mushroom risotto.’
- ‘Popular Caribbean staples include pigeon peas and rice, and ‘callaloo,’ a dish made from callaloo greens, okra, salted pork, crab, and fresh fish.’
- ‘Favorite Caribbean dishes enjoyed in St. Lucia include fish soup, callaloo and plantains prepared in many different ways.’
- ‘They come here to hear calypso and eat pelau, callaloo, roti and dasheen.’
- ‘It serves the best callaloo and is one of the few places travelers can get fresh-brewed coffee on the island.’
- ‘Trinidadians are said by Creoles to be ethnically ‘mixed-up’ like callaloo, a kind of soup made from dasheen leaves and containing crab.’
- ‘It is the name given to various green leaves which form the chief ingredient of the soup called callaloo, popular in the West Indies and Brazil.’
- ‘There, we tried some local soup - the callaloo - and that was excellent.’
- ‘We all speak the same language as our countrymen and know of roti, cowheel soup, callaloo and all the other indigenous dishes.’
2The plant of the arum family from which callaloo leaves are obtained.
- ‘Beside a bed of blood-red dahlias, Samantha grows callaloo, a type of spinach popular in the West Indian community and grown from a neighbour's cuttings.’
- ‘Okra and sweet potatoes are important vegetables, and callaloo figures as often as it does in the West Indies.’
- ‘The national dish, ‘oil down,’ is a stew-like concoction made in large quantities with local vegetables such as callalou, dasheen, breadfruit, green fig, and plantain.’
Mid 18th century: from American Spanish calalú.
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.