One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Either of two plants of the arum family.
(also 'wild calla')another term for water arum
(usually 'calla lily') Genus Zantedeschia, family Araceae: several species, in particular Z. aethiopica
- ‘Eventually they found their specialty after tireless experimenting - flowers ranging from black-eyed Susans to the elegant oriental lilies and callas.’
- ‘By the way, I think a few long stalks of calla lilies or tulips tied with a satin ribbon is so much more beautiful than a bouquet of coloured-tissue-wrapped flowers.’
- ‘The bride wore an ivory silk empire line dress with lace and pearl detail, chiffon train and pearl tiara, and carried a bouquet of cream roses and calla lilies with green foliage.’
- ‘Start begonias, caladiums, callas, cannas, and dahlias in pots indoors on a sunny windowsill.’
- ‘After frost kills their foliage, dig up callas, cannas, dahlias, tuberous begonias, and other tender bulbs.’
- ‘Flowers adorn nearly every grave - leggy calla lilies and leafy hydrangea and big bundles of plump tulips.’
- ‘The easygoing summer bulbs - callas, dahlias, gladiolus, and lilies (Asiatic and Oriental hybrids) - come back in garden beds or containers year after year.’
- ‘She prefers beautiful lilies, callas and orchids.’
- ‘She handed me my bouquet of calla lilies, freesias, and irises.’
- ‘In the big planters, I put dahlias and calla lilies.’
- ‘Adair used five stems each of red roses, pink hyacinths, pink callas, red anemones, plus 15 small red tulips.’
- ‘Some lovely choices for wedding flowers include azalea, calla, hydrangea, moth orchid, Oriental lily, rhododendron, and rose.’
- ‘Don't overlook summer-blooming callas, dahlias and cannas.’
- ‘December and January are great months to buy calla lilies.’
- ‘The bunch of white calla lilies she had bought lay on the seat beside her, tied with white ribbon.’
- ‘Some choices include azalea, calla, hydrangea, miniature rose, moth orchid, Oriental lily, tulip, and ‘Wonder Bells Blue’ double campanula.’
- ‘Spring callas need moderately acid soil, generous amounts of moisture with good drainage and a resting period.’
- ‘She carried a hand tied bouquet of calla lilies.’
- ‘The company began selling roses, calla lilies and other flowers online two years ago.’
- ‘These stones - featuring detailed, bas-relief sculptures of irises, tulips, and calla lilies - are cast of concrete in manufactured molds.’
Early 19th century: modern Latin.
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.