One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A message, code, or tune that is broadcast by radio to identify the broadcaster or transmitter.
- ‘Every craft that leaves the atmosphere is assigned a call sign.’
- ‘For instance, each marine is assigned a quick call sign that represents their unique responsibility within the team.’
- ‘The call sign Juliet Golf Oscar followed by a flight number belongs, says the ICAO, to a now bankrupt Canadian low-cost airline called Jetsgo of Montreal.’
- ‘A special call sign was allocated and the station was active from 8am to 6pm.’
- ‘His e - mail address, amateur radio call sign and later entries assign him to the UK.’
- ‘The vocal quality of the kookaburra gave it the gig as the original call sign for Radio Australia in the days of short wave broadcasting.’
- ‘They monitored what sounded like a Mayday call from someone using the call sign of ‘Crest 45A.’’
- ‘Since the crew of Banger 602 had been using the formation call sign of Banger 1 all day, they inadvertently had answered the controller's instructions, using Banger 601 instead of 602.’
- ‘It was supposed to send out a call sign in the form of a nine-note ‘tune’ composed by members of the pop group Blur.’
- ‘It turns out one long running problem has been caused by the team leader having one radio call sign, and each safety boat having one.’
- ‘They knew it was there because they had been using the call sign that British Airways uses when they communicate with the control center.’
- ‘Loki - the Norse god of mischief and the call sign for the 932nd Air Control Squadron - has watched 250,000 square miles of airspace in and around Iceland for 50 years.’
- ‘The FM radio decode feature uses radio data system information to relay the station call sign, song title, or artist, for display on the PC monitor.’
- ‘The museum will have its own call sign and visitors will be able to speak to other radio amateurs all over the world.’
- ‘‘Oh, and one more thing,’ Max said, acting more alive than ever, ‘My call sign is Phoenix Shadow.’’
- ‘Our fears that we had confused a similar call sign with clearance to break for our own takeoff clearance began to grow.’
- ‘This was the call sign of a Hamburg radio station which broadcast nightly news bulletins in English to the British people.’
- ‘Joe Barrett may be the name on his driver's license, but he is known only by his call sign, ‘Rocketman.’’
- ‘The one I remember best was a brown and white four seater with the call signal 7640 - Papa.’
- ‘Rescue efforts were ongoing, and rescuers had established contact with the pilot and the weapon systems officer using their call sign, Jackal 33.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.