One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
treated as singular or plural Gymnastic exercises to achieve bodily fitness and grace of movement.
physical activity, movement, exertion, effort, workView synonyms
- ‘Your rehabilitation team might suggest exercises you can safely perform at home, such as walking and gentle calisthenics.’
- ‘Try weightlifting or calisthenics to build your strength and improve your balance.’
- ‘On the day of the timed run, after performing some calisthenics and stretching, we headed for the track.’
- ‘He was obsessed with exercising, and would often spontaneously do calisthenics whenever the four of them were hanging out.’
- ‘Free weights, tubing and calisthenics can be substituted once exercise machines become too difficult to use because of increased size and balance problems.’
- ‘One can never see him dancing or performing callisthenics on the stage to attract audiences.’
- ‘Warm up for five to 10 minutes before each workout with some light calisthenics, and follow each training session with five to 10 minutes of stretching.’
- ‘Although the way they are taught in the West often resembles simple calisthenics, yoga and tai chi run much deeper.’
- ‘One week after her surgery, she was at the gym doing calisthenics and chins.’
- ‘Start with a ten-minute warm-up of jumping rope, jogging, or calisthenics.’
- ‘Therefore, it is not that strange that the practice of transcendence should be as much a part of the Chi Gong tradition as callisthenics and breathing exercises that lower blood pressure.’
- ‘Harris resented the intrusion and the new emphasis on calisthenics.’
- ‘He jogs, bikes and performs calisthenics to lose the extra pounds.’
- ‘He and his mates are laughing and jeering at their next-door neighbour: a crazy old man, stripped to the waist, performing what looks like some kind of weird callisthenics routine in his backyard.’
- ‘I start off with calisthenics to warm up, and then I do weights and finish up with cardio.’
- ‘Also, squad leaders established routines with weight training and calisthenics.’
- ‘These movements include push-ups, crunches, dips, pull-ups, lunges, body weight squats, back extensions or any other calisthenics.’
- ‘The gym offers yoga therapy, aerobics and callisthenics separately for men and women.’
- ‘Combine that with a basic training-styled cardiovascular and calisthenics session.’
- ‘Warm up before the weight-lifting session with stretching exercises, calisthenics, and jogging.’
Early 19th century: from Greek kallos ‘beauty’ + sthenos ‘strength’ + -ics.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.