Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A roll of sushi with a filling containing avocado, cucumber, and crabmeat.‘where does one begin when choosing a sake to match their fresh California roll?’
- ‘He returned to our table a short time later carrying a full tray of sushi, including tuna, shrimp, California rolls, and one of the best spicy tuna rolls I've ever had.’
- ‘The second round of items that came to the table - California rolls and yuzi sushi - seemed an afterthought and tasted like one, too.’
- ‘The California rolls use actual crab, not sea stick.’
- ‘I ordered for him - just some basic tuna and salmon and California rolls - and showed him how to use his chopsticks and what to do with the wasabi and pickled ginger.’
- ‘The bento box dinner - which includes salmon, fried shumai, California roll, white rice, and an appetizer of the diner's choice - is a highlight.’
- ‘A California roll topped with ultra-tender eel, called the dragon ($14), snaked across the plate in chunks, its head sprouting tiny horns made of carrot tips.’
- ‘We were planning to make sushi (California rolls) tonight along with a Japanese noodle dish that my friend Amanda taught me to make.’
- ‘You won't find mayonnaise in any sushi bar in Tokyo, but the American-Japanese concoction they call a California roll went down a storm, and the thinly sliced scallops were outstanding.’
- ‘You'll see all the sushi bar classics: ebi (shrimp), maguro (tuna), ikura (salmon roe), and California roll with a smattering of bright orange tobiko (flying fish roe).’
- ‘For the California roll, get some dried seaweed sheets, sesame seeds, medium grain sushi rice, an avocado, a cucumber, thin leg style imitation crab and some rice vinegar.’
- ‘The salmon was perfectly glazed, and the accompaniments - fried shumai, California rolls, and even the miso soup - were exceptional.’
- ‘I was very happy with the $12.95 combo, with its six faultless pieces of nigiri sushi and one revelation - a seaweed-wrapped California roll made with avocado, cucumber and real king crab.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.