One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A Mediterranean plant of a genus that includes the common or pot marigold.
Genus Calendula, family Compositae
- ‘Winter standby - calendulas, cyclamens, pansies, violas, primroses, stock and snapdragons - plus some of the hardy groundcovers, can be planted.’
- ‘If you are tempted to plant annual flower seedlings, consider the most heat-tolerant ones such as petunias, calendulas, cosmos & African marigolds.’
- ‘The calendula or pot marigold is a symbol of sunny days with good health, joy, and affection.’
- ‘Keep an eye out for them on clematis, calendulas, chrysanthemums and zinnias.’
- ‘Soothe dry skin irritations with chamomile, lavender, jasmine, elder flowers, red clover and herbs such as Irish moss, calendula, comfrey, marshmallow root and violets.’
- ‘Plant calendula to encourage hoverflies whose larvae will eat huge quantities of greenflies.’
- ‘Yellow and orange calendulas bloom through winter, as will pink and white English daisies and sweet-scented stock.’
- ‘Sweet peas, pansies and calendulas are fairly cold tolerant and should be planted as soon as soil can be easily worked.’
- ‘Reserve some space for colorful annuals like zinnia, marigold, calendula, alyssum, and cosmos.’
- ‘Many flowers are edible, the most common culinary varieties being calendula, chrysanthemum, daylily, nasturtium, pansy, violet and zucchini.’
- ‘Particularly good trap crops include: green lettuce, cabbage, calendula, marigolds, comfrey leaves, zinnias and beans.’
- ‘These include sweet peas. calendulas, poppies and larkspur.’
- ‘A handful of seasonal blooms - magenta dahlias, rusty orange calendulas, and rosy viburnum berries - celebrate the fall harvest.’
- ‘But once the flowers were spent, she couldn't always remember which was the orange calendula and which was the yellow one, or which scabiosa was lavender and which was deep purple.’
- ‘Edible flowers, such as nasturtiums, pansies, violets, and calendulas, are also good.’
- ‘Edible flowers such as nasturtium, calendula, and borage do well at the base.’
- ‘For most, the presence of flowers such as roses, peonies, chrysanthemums, lilies, irises and calendulas for instance represents an aesthetic uplifting of spirit.’
- ‘It may be a little early to start summer annuals, but pansies, violas, snapdragons, calendulas and more will go strong until June or even later if planted anew now.’
- ‘Buy young plants of calendula, Iceland poppy, pansy, primrose, snapdragon, stock, and viola.’
- ‘Pansies are prone to fungal infections and young plants rot easily and calendulas can also fall prey to moulds, so I tend to plant these as seedlings too.’
Modern Latin, diminutive of calendae (see calends); perhaps because it flowers for most of the year.
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.