One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Something used for making mathematical calculations, in particular a small electronic device with a keyboard and a visual display.
- ‘The items included laptop computers, cameras, stereos, calculators and digital diaries.’
- ‘Earlier, we had electro-mechanical calculators, using relays and vacuum tubes.’
- ‘These calculators have done their part in making the use of computational devices in the classroom feasible.’
- ‘Remember, he invented the pocket calculator and revolutionised personal computing.’
- ‘And he had to do all the calculations the hard way, using pencil and paper, without the help of any computers or pocket calculators.’
- ‘She added that pupils learning to use the abacus could calculate faster than those using electric calculators.’
- ‘Common batteries in watches, calculators and other devices are voltaic cells.’
- ‘In those days, mainframe computers were coming into usage and electronic calculators were also just appearing.’
- ‘In any event, the test of whether a spreadsheet could be useful to me is if it can be my pocket calculator.’
- ‘Accounting enlists technology in the form of calculators and computers to assist in the processing of information.’
- ‘Well, there's a number of calculators online that you can begin with.’
- ‘Such tasks are best suited to readily available technological devices, such as calculators.’
- ‘There is a currency converter and a calculator but no email client or text message chat.’
- ‘Why use Vedic mathematics when we have calculators and computers?’
- ‘Displays on laptop computers, cell phones, watches, and calculators all rely on this technology.’
- ‘The fourth recommendation advocates the use of mathematical software or graphing calculators.’
- ‘They now have the benefit of hand held electronic calculators.’
- ‘These days the world revolves around computers and calculators; somewhere the spirit of our heritage is being eroded.’
- ‘Some readers will remember when calculators, computers and digital watches were new products.’
- ‘This is true of virtually all non-PC electronics devices, from calculators to hi-fi systems to most mobile phones.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.