Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A white caustic alkaline solid, commonly produced in the form of quicklime.
- ‘The analysis to these materials revealed that they contain mainly silica, alumina and calcium oxide, which they account for 89.57% of the total weight.’
- ‘By melting silica mixed with sodium hydroxide or calcium oxide one is able to interrupt the long chains of silicon-oxygen bonds to form more easily melted glasses.’
- ‘The process yields carbon dioxide, water, and hydrogen chloride gas, which can easily be removed by injecting powdered lime or by installing a calcium oxide filter.’
- ‘To create a limed soil, powdered calcium oxide was added to the soil mix at 1 • 5% by soil dry weight.’
- ‘Glass was first made from sand and sodium carbonate, found in dry lake beds around Alexandria, and later improved greatly by the addition of lime, calcium oxide.’
- ‘Common soda-lime glass contains about 12% calcium oxide, while high-melting aluminosilicate glass contains about 20% calcium oxide.’
- ‘Drywall replaced cedar lath - sometimes wrapped with chicken wire - and it was covered with cement plaster and had a finish coat of calcium oxide - termed ‘quicklime.’’
- ‘The dissociation of calcium carbonate to calcium oxide and carbon dioxide at 25°C and atmospheric pressure provides an example; raising the temperature or lowering the pressure drives the reaction in the forward direction.’
- ‘Calcium carbide, made by reacting calcium oxide with carbon in the form of coke, is the starting material for the production of acetylene.’
- ‘The surface quickly becomes dull, however, as calcium reacts with oxygen to form a coating of white or gray calcium oxide.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.