Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A white crystalline salt used to de-ice roads and as a drying agent.
- ‘The suspension is filtered and ammonium chloride is added to the filtrate, resulting in the conversion of calcium hydroxide into calcium chloride and ammonia.’
- ‘He plans to search for safer fungicides like calcium chloride, the same material that is used as de-icing salt, to fight gray mold disease.’
- ‘Solid calcium chloride is used both in the laboratory and in the home, where cans of anhydrous calcium chloride may be placed in damp closets, for instance, to prevent mildew.’
- ‘When scaling due to cyclic freezing occurs, often the cause is judged to be de-icing chemicals, particularly calcium chloride.’
- ‘If a high serum magnesium concentration has contributed to the cardiac arrest, consider giving calcium chloride.’
- ‘Other cementitious materials, such as fly ash, and silica fume and GGBF slag, often contribute to color variation, as does calcium chloride.’
- ‘Hydrochloric acid reacts with calcium to produce hydrogen with calcium chloride in aqueous solution as a by-product (the well-documented dragon ‘slime’).’
- ‘With calcium carbonate, neutralization of acid involves the formation of calcium chloride, carbon dioxide, and water.’
- ‘The second case study, a residential concrete sidewalk, deals with slightly different entrained air-void systems and the effects of sodium and calcium chloride de-icing chemicals.’
- ‘Some contractors may suggest that rock salt or calcium chloride be used to melt the ice and snow.’
- ‘Pure calcium metal can be made by electrolyzing molten calcium chloride in a method similar to that by which the element was first prepared in 1807: CaCl 2-electric current Ca + Cl 2.’
- ‘A solution of sodium chloride will have an equal number of Na + and Cl ions, and a solution of calcium chloride will have twice the number of Cl ions as Ca 2+ ions.’
- ‘One of the minerals added in tiny quantities is calcium chloride, containing bromide, for added ‘taste profile’.’
- ‘Top decks and filler panels are made with common and easily worked 6061 grade aluminum, coated with clear acrylic to prevent corrosion from Colorado's now ubiquitous calcium chloride road salt.’
- ‘One group of products, commonly used today is salts like calcium chloride (CaCl) and magnesium chloride (MgCl).’
- ‘To protect the tendons, calcium chloride and other materials containing chloride must not be used as admixtures in concrete slabs that are to be post-tensioned.’
- ‘Zinc-coated steel is used in handling refrigeration brines that may contain calcium chloride.’
- ‘Patients with severe or symptomatic hypocalcemia should be treated with intravenous calcium gluconate, which has 90 mg of elemental calcium in each 10-mL ampule and is less irritating to the veins than calcium chloride.’
- ‘Besides magnesium chloride, other alternatives to salt and sand are calcium magnesium acetate, calcium chloride and potassium acetate.’
- ‘Recently, it has been reported that millimolar concentrations of calcium chloride induce a small decrease in MSP [beta] sheet content.’
- ‘Normal de-icing chemicals are based on sodium chloride, calcium chloride, or urea, which do not have any adverse chemical effect on concrete.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.