One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A hormone secreted by the thyroid that has the effect of lowering blood calcium.
- ‘Human calcitonin is a 32 amino acid peptide hormone, present in the thyroid of vertebrates, which has an important role in calcium metabolism and possesses a number of other biological activities.’
- ‘Certain drugs (penicillin, insulin, calcitonin, heparin, and some vitamins) have their potency expressed as units of biologic activity rather than milligrams.’
- ‘When stimulated by irritants such as capsaicin, c-fibers antidromically release calcitonin gene-related peptides, SP and neurokinin A.’
- ‘Calcitriol functions in concert with parathyroid hormone and calcitonin to regulate serum calcium and phosphorous levels.’
- ‘Elevated levels of the hormone calcitonin can prevent osteoclastic bone resorption.’
- ‘Intranasal calcitonin is a polypeptide hormone that also inhibits osteoclastic activity.’
- ‘Calcium and vitamin D supplementation, hormone replacement therapy, calcitonin and bisphosphonates are used to maintain bone mass.’
- ‘Other treatments recommended for bone loss are specific oestrogen receptor modulators, intranasal calcitonin, and bisphosphonates.’
- ‘Consistent with these findings, a marked elevation of sensory neuropeptides such as substance P, neurokinin A, and calcitonin gene-related peptide was observed in rat bronchoalveolar lavage fluid after paclitaxel injection.’
- ‘Procalcitonin, the precursor molecule of calcitonin, is a 116-amino acid peptide that is devoid of known hormonal activity.’
- ‘Nasal irritation, dryness, and rhinitis have been the most common complaints with intranasal calcitonin.25 As with all other treatments for osteoporosis, adequate intake of calcium and vitamin D is essential with calcitonin.’
- ‘Depending upon the site of transcription, the calcitonin gene yields an RNA that synthesizes calcitonin or calcitonin-gene related peptide.’
- ‘Treatments that have been studied but that show no clear benefit include atropine, glucagon, calcitonin and protease inhibitors.’
- ‘Magnesium-rich chlorophyll in greens stimulates the hormone calcitonin to boost calcium in bones by drawing it from soft tissue.’
- ‘When parathyroid hormone and calcitonin had both been purified, it was possible to determine that it was parathyroid hormone and not calcitonin that had an anabolic effect on bone in young rats.’
- ‘To detect potentially deadly recurrences, doctors monitored a known biomarker, a calcium-controlling hormone called calcitonin, in the boy's blood.’
- ‘Salmon calcitonin, but not human calcitonin, prevents or retards bone loss and increases bone strength in rat and other species.’
- ‘Salmon calcitonin is a form of a hormone that comes from fish.’
- ‘A unique characteristic of calcitonin is that it produces an analgesic effect with respect to bone pain and, thus, is often prescribed for patients who have had an acute osteoporotic fracture.’
- ‘Parathyroid hormone regulates the level of calcium in the blood with the help of calcitonin (pronounced: kal-suh-toe-nin), which is produced in the thyroid.’
1960s: from calci- + tonic + -in.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.