Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Harden by deposition of or conversion into calcium carbonate or some other insoluble calcium compounds.‘calcified cartilage’
- ‘A chest CT exam from the 3rd day of life showed the mass to be calcified and compromising the airway.’
- ‘Her chest x-ray showed 2 nodules, one in the lower left lung that was calcified, and a second one in the left upper lung that was noncalcified.’
- ‘A characteristic of muscles subjected to high force regimes is the presence of sesamoids or calcified central tendons.’
- ‘By any measure, decapods are underrepresented in the fossil record by comparison with organisms with more heavily calcified exoskeletons.’
- ‘A simple cyst of the liver does not have calcified areas.’
- ‘Unless the gall bladder is calcified or the patient has other risk factors, asymptomatic gallstones may be managed expectantly.’
- ‘The project involved the application of farmyard manure and calcified seaweed to the land in order to increase its productive value, and enable the raising of 40 suckler cows on the land.’
- ‘Pleural plaques seen in chest x-rays are mostly calcified.’
- ‘These calcified reds can be difficult to distinguish from corals without the assistance of a microscope or a trained eye, as you can see from the picture below at left.’
- ‘The scales may remain unmineralized, and consist primarily of carbohydrates, or they may be calcified; silica plates are rare.’
- ‘The nannoplankton crisis was twofold: a decrease in size and low calcified specimens are observed in addition to a drastic decrease in absolute abundance.’
- ‘The well-defined zone of tendon, fibrocartilage, calcified cartilage, and bone had not been re-established.’
- ‘Neither Olenellina nor Agnostina had calcified protaspides, a condition which is sometimes regarded as primitive.’
- ‘Not all bryozoans are calcified; the degree of calcification and mineralogy also varies.’
- ‘As autozooids grew in length, the outermost diaphragms were calcified in sequence as their membranes formed.’
- ‘A laser beam that has a very shallow penetration depth and will perforate calcified plaque is the excimer laser.’
- ‘Some genera have thick-walled calcified necting rings; others have thin and delicate ones.’
- ‘In diabetic patients with heavily calcified vessels, the arteries are frequently noncompressible.’
- ‘A chest radiograph showed calcified lymph nodes at the right tracheobronchial angle and a left mid lung granuloma.’
- ‘The endocuticle is ‘the thickest and most heavily calcified layer of the cuticle’.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.