Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
The large bone forming the heel. It articulates with the cuboid bone of the foot and the talus bone of the ankle, and the Achilles tendon (or tendo calcaneus) is attached to it.
- ‘Some patients may present with tendinopathy at the insertion of the Achilles tendon on the calcaneus.’
- ‘A longitudinal incision was made midway between the lateral border of the Achilles tendon and the superolateral crest of the calcaneus, with a slight anterior curve.’
- ‘Pronation of the foot will make the deformity worse by increasing the cavus and locking the adducted calcaneus under the talus, while the midfoot and forefoot are twisted into eversion.’
- ‘The fiber bundles that make up plantaris give rise to a flat, short, fusiform belly and are united to a narrow tendon that extends along the medial edge of the calcaneal tendon to the posterior surface of the calcaneus where it attaches.’
- ‘For purposes of analysis, stress injuries to bone were grouped into one of the following categories: femur, tibia, fibula, navicular bone, calcaneus, and forefoot (metatarsal bones and phalanx).’
- ‘In this procedure, the proximal part of the peroneus brevis tendon is routed through the calcaneus and attached to the distal fibula.’
- ‘In this series of operations, we used suture anchor devices to fix the free ends of the split patellar tendon to the talus and the calcaneus.’
- ‘Patients with plantar fasciitis present with heel pain, but on examination the anteromedial aspect of the heel at the origin of the plantar fascia on the calcaneus will be more tender than the central area.’
- ‘There are other slips that arise from the lower part of the fibula behind peroneus brevis and are attached to the lateral aspect of the calcaneus, to the cuboid, or into the dorsal digital expansion of the fifth toe.’
- ‘The plantar fascia, a band of connective tissue deep to the fat layer of the base (plantar aspect) of the foot, spans from the medial plantar tuberosity of the calcaneus to the base of the digits.’
- ‘The plantar fascia is a thickened fibrous aponeurosis that originates from the medial tubercle of the calcaneus and runs forward to form the longitudinal foot arch.’
- ‘Because of the Achilles tendon's insertion into the calcaneus, the tendon can be exposed to forces secondary to subtalar motion.’
- ‘In these patients, we have reinserted the Achilles tendon in the calcaneus with two to five bone anchors, depending on the amount of tendon disinserted.’
- ‘The Achilles tendon spans two joints and connects the calcaneus to the gastrocnemius and soleus muscles, comprising the largest and strongest muscle complex in the calf.’
- ‘The posterior heel includes the retrocalcaneal bursa, which is located between the calcaneus and the Achilles tendon insertion site, and the retroachilles bursa, which is located between the Achilles tendon and the skin.’
- ‘Compression of the bursa between the calcaneus and the Achilles tendon occurs every time the ankle is dorsiflexed, and in a runner the repetitions are countless, particularly with uphill running where ankle dorsiflexion is increased.’
- ‘The second specimen sustained a comminuted vertical sustentaculum tali fracture of the calcaneus involving the posterior and middle facets.’
- ‘Anchor suture devices were used to fix each tendon end to the talus or to the calcaneus at the original insertion of the ligaments.’
- ‘The peroneal trochlea of the calcaneus is variable in size and shape and presents a slight groove for the peroneal muscles.’
- ‘A muscle closely related to flexor hallucis longus is fibulotarsalis, which arises from the fibula and inserts, via the sustentaculum, to the underside of calcaneus and the navicular bones.’
Mid 18th century: from Latin.
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.