One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A tropical American plant that typically has variegated and ornamental leaves, widely grown as a greenhouse or indoor plant.
Genus "Calathea", family "Marantaceae": many species
- ‘Many calatheas have a red or purple underside to their leaves, which adds subterfuge to their pest resistance.’
- ‘Like many plants, calatheas are very good at removing toxins from the air, caused by cleaning products, modern furnishings made of synthetic materials and so on.’
- ‘Division and separating are easy methods and are mostly employed for all kinds of ornamental grasses, bamboo, calatheas, marantas, anthuriums, aglaonema, chlorophytum (spider plant), etc.’
- ‘Out came the trees and in went some Bangalow palms and Golden Cane palms; more cordylines, calatheas, ctenanthes, gingers, cycads and a bat plant were also added.’
- ‘The gardens include one of the largest collections of towering champion trees in this area, accented with lush under-story plantings, water features, and displays of orchids, calatheas, and other unique plants.’
- ‘Familiar house plants, such as philodendrons and calatheas, as well as many unusual tropical plants with bold textures and bright colors are displayed here.’
- ‘Marantas are generally low and squat and calatheas are more upright.’
- ‘This book covers the floricultural use of the most important heliconias and their relatives (gingers, costus, calatheas, ornamental bananas and birds of paradise), as well as anthuriums and tropical foliage.’
- ‘Good quality calatheas can be produced but careful attention must be given to the production environment.’
- ‘The maranta and calathea are other such plants.’
- ‘We are situated in Darwin and sell many varieties of true tropical plants - heliconias, gingers, alocasias, colocasias, calatheas, philodendrons, caladiums, cannas and more - plants for foliage and flower.’
- ‘Add a splash of color with wild exotic flowers - heliconia, birds of paradise, musas, calatheas, gingers, palms, orchids, bamboos, and lotuses.’
Modern Latin, from Greek kalathos ‘basket’.
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.