One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A tropical American plant that typically has variegated and ornamental leaves, widely grown as a greenhouse or indoor plant.
- ‘Many calatheas have a red or purple underside to their leaves, which adds subterfuge to their pest resistance.’
- ‘Like many plants, calatheas are very good at removing toxins from the air, caused by cleaning products, modern furnishings made of synthetic materials and so on.’
- ‘Division and separating are easy methods and are mostly employed for all kinds of ornamental grasses, bamboo, calatheas, marantas, anthuriums, aglaonema, chlorophytum (spider plant), etc.’
- ‘Out came the trees and in went some Bangalow palms and Golden Cane palms; more cordylines, calatheas, ctenanthes, gingers, cycads and a bat plant were also added.’
- ‘The gardens include one of the largest collections of towering champion trees in this area, accented with lush under-story plantings, water features, and displays of orchids, calatheas, and other unique plants.’
- ‘Familiar house plants, such as philodendrons and calatheas, as well as many unusual tropical plants with bold textures and bright colors are displayed here.’
- ‘Marantas are generally low and squat and calatheas are more upright.’
- ‘This book covers the floricultural use of the most important heliconias and their relatives (gingers, costus, calatheas, ornamental bananas and birds of paradise), as well as anthuriums and tropical foliage.’
- ‘Good quality calatheas can be produced but careful attention must be given to the production environment.’
- ‘The maranta and calathea are other such plants.’
- ‘We are situated in Darwin and sell many varieties of true tropical plants - heliconias, gingers, alocasias, colocasias, calatheas, philodendrons, caladiums, cannas and more - plants for foliage and flower.’
- ‘Add a splash of color with wild exotic flowers - heliconia, birds of paradise, musas, calatheas, gingers, palms, orchids, bamboos, and lotuses.’
Modern Latin, from Greek kalathos ‘basket’.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.