One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
- ‘Britain once had its days of cakes and ale, and a week which began with a day off.’
- ‘This is the worst kind of destructive attitude - denying other people cakes and ale because you've never enjoyed them yourself.’
- ‘And once the world is made virtuous, will there be no more cakes and ale?’
- ‘The successful physician starves the first ten years, lives on bread and butter the second, and may have cakes and ale the third decade.’
- ‘Traditionally celebrated after the main crop had been harvested, Harvest Home was, according to one historian, an annual event characterized by cakes and ale and hang the cost.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.