Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
1A storage container for a round layer cake, with a surrounding cover that protects and preserves the cake.
- ‘It's called the Shoebox Project, though the boxes are actually more like small cakeboxes.’
- ‘I suggest you order 10 of those nifty cakeboxes for $6-to store your projects.’
- ‘The last cake, which I sent at the arrival of a new baby girl, was so appreciated and loved and the recipient wrote to me in her thank you note that she has already ordered three cakeboxes for others!’
- ‘She has gilded all the cakeboxes, and ordered fondue sets for everyone to take home as favors.’
- 1.1 A similarly shaped package for blank, recordable compact discs, with a central spindle on which discs are stacked.
- ‘All of our cakeboxes are on the innerside protected with PI, a plastic coating.’
- ‘Instructions on ‘building’ a cakebox are available to member institutions upon request.’
- ‘They sell cakeboxes for good prices, and there is no minimum order.’
- ‘I've got discs all over the place - horizontal, vertical, sunny side up, sunny side down, in hard cases, in sleeves, in cakeboxes!’
- ‘Store your CD or DVD disc media in our cakeboxes, design your own labels to complement your master or product and more.’
- ‘I could use a few 100-disc cakeboxes to store them and to store the burnt discs.’
- ‘Duplicated DVDs are supplied on spindles or in cakeboxes.’
- ‘Instead they are sold in spindle packs or cakeboxes, where the discs are stacked on a central spindle.’
- ‘Do I have to return the cakeboxes to RipZ?’
- ‘Memorex offers a large selection of pack sizes and configurations, including jewel cases, slim jewel cases, paper sleeves, bulk and cakeboxes ranging from 5 packs to 100 packs.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.