One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A large Atlantic petrel that breeds in Bermuda. It is an endangered species.
- ‘His efforts have been successful and especially notable is the restoration of the extinct cahows.’
- ‘Bermuda's most famous bird, the Bermuda petrel, or cahow, is a rare but rewarding sight.’
- ‘He has taken invasives by the roots and continues the effort to save our indigenous cahows from extinction.’
- ‘This year the world's last 24 pairs of cahows have produced twelve healthy chicks.’
- ‘But by a small miracle, a few pairs of breeding cahows hung for generations on some remote sea cliffs in the Bermuda archipelago.’
Early 17th century: imitative of its call.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.