One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1The infirmity of old age; senility.
decrepitude, infirmity, feebleness, unsteadiness, senescence, decline, old age, dotage, second childhood, confusion, alzheimer's, alzheimer's disease, senile dementiaView synonyms
- ‘His weak eyesight combined with his caducity puts him out of service.’
- ‘The experiments prove that the rate of inhibiting caducity is more than 90% and it can make the rat of 15 months age reach biochemical level of 3 month's age after administrating royal jelly.’
- ‘The botanist, who studied the phenomenon of the caducity of blossom and young nuclei in plum trees, distinguishes three stages of this falling off of the nuclei.’
- ‘Many women will consider cutting down after they are at the age of thirty and begin to have the evidence of caducity with more and more splashes and wrinkles.’
- ‘This lawn belonged to my paternal grandmother, whom I cautiously called Mammaw, for she resented being called anything that remotely betrayed her caducity.’
- 1.1literary Frailty or transitory nature.‘read these books and reflect on their caducity’
temporariness, transitoriness, impermanence, brevity, briefness, shortness, ephemerality, short-livedness, momentariness, mutability, instability, volatilityView synonyms
- ‘The caducity of youth is not something I ever thought about it my teens, but can't stop thinking about in my twenties!’
- ‘These intimations of mortality triggered in him a ‘consciousness of my very caducity’ (writer's note: caducity is ‘the quality of being transitory or perishable’).’
- ‘The logic, or the justification, in support of this procedure emanates from caducity of life and indeed of the whole creation at large.’
- ‘And what is rankling me most is since when have I been the type to believe in the caducity of life?’
- ‘This incomplete elaboration leaves the feeling of caducity as a remainder.’
Mid 18th century: from French caducité, from caduc, from Latin caducus ‘liable to fall’, from cadere ‘to fall’.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.