One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The chemical element of atomic number 48, a silvery-white metal.
- ‘And with toxic metals like cadmium, mercury and lead, it's the same story.’
- ‘Computers contain chemicals such as brominated flame retardants and heavy metals like lead and cadmium.’
- ‘New processing methods are outlined from which potassium, sodium, barium, strontium and cadmium were discovered.’
- ‘Finally, vitamin C can help rid the body of heavy metal toxins, including mercury, lead, cadmium and nickel.’
- ‘Crabs, for example, when examined, show up to 20 times the normal levels of carcinogenic metals such as cadmium and cobalt.’
- ‘These elements include mercury, bromine, cadmium, indium, thallium, lead, and bismuth.’
- ‘In addition to mercury and lead, the other heavy metals commonly used by auto makers are cadmium and hexavalent chromium.’
- ‘Similarly, small amounts of the toxic trace metal cadmium can promote plant growth’
- ‘The principal pollutants are lead, cadmium, zinc, iron and manganese.’
- ‘The use of chlorophyll fluorescence to study effects of cadmium, copper, and mercury on photosynthesis has been recently reviewed.’
- ‘High levels of zinc, cadmium, and barium have also been consistently found in residential soils close by the plant.’
- ‘When waste oils are burned in incinerators, toxic metals such as nickel, vanadium and cadmium get ensnared in the particles given off into the atmosphere.’
- ‘Other heavy metals, such as cadmium, were not recognized as poisonous until the early nineteenth century.’
- ‘But motor oil wears out and gets dirty, soaking up toxic heavy metals like lead and cadmium, and so it must be changed.’
- ‘For example, many metals, like cadmium, lead, and mercury are toxic to humans and are mutagenic and carcinogenic.’
- ‘Exposure to toxic metals such as cadmium or lead can result in an alteration in peripheral metabolism of thyroid hormones.’
- ‘A final stress condition that was characterized was exposure to the heavy metal cadmium.’
- ‘Unknown quantities of mercury, lead, chromium and cadmium are also on board.’
- ‘The thermal and electrical conductivity of copper are relatively unaffected by small amounts of either silver or cadmium.’
- ‘Selenium appears to antagonize cadmium, especially in acute exposures.’
Early 19th century: from Latin cadmia ‘calamine’, so named because it is found with calamine in zinc ore. Compare with calamine.
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.