Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A register of property showing the extent, value, and ownership of land for taxation.
- ‘Once these are in order the Notary Act (contract to purchase) must be signed in front of a Bulgarian Notary Public and registered in the local cadastre.’
- ‘When the national cadastre is complete, this municipal responsibility will cease.’
- ‘Local government officials in charge of the cadastre and valuation systems are well prepared with technical expertise and an awareness of the need to conduct permanent reform within the system.’
- ‘By means of iconic script - ‘picture writing’ - pictorial manuscripts had ordered religious lore as well as the dynastic genealogies, political histories, and cadastres of cities and kings in pre-Hispanic central Mexico.’
- ‘Most of the local real estate firms support the company's proposal to merge the cadastre and property registers, arguing that this would halve administrative costs and speed up the process by providing a one-stop customer service.’
- ‘However, this cannot be ascertained without a legal cadastre in most African rural areas.’
- ‘It was thought at the time that a full scale legal cadastre was a fundamental requirement, so the program was shelved.’
- ‘There will be no sale of companies that are part of the electricity transmission system, nor of those engaged in gas transiting, the transport infrastructure, the territorial cadastre, geodesy, water supply and sewage.’
- ‘A document replete with cadastres and flow charts that resemble the scratchings of a drunken maze designer.’
- ‘A cadastre of this nature presented technical obstacles of such severity that the entire project was at first abandoned.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.