One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A succulent plant with a thick, fleshy stem that typically bears spines, lacks leaves, and has brilliantly colored flowers. Cacti are native to arid regions of the New World and are cultivated elsewhere, especially as houseplants.
- ‘We are rich with saguaros, prickly pear, and cholla cacti, and paloverde, and mesquite trees.’
- ‘Tall palm trees and thick forests of cactuses give travellers the impression that they are staying in a tropical region.’
- ‘It has been isolated from soils in desert areas, grassland or cultivated soils, cacti, onion, and garlic bulbs.’
- ‘Remember, for starters, that all cacti are succulents, but not all succulents are cacti.’
- ‘Second, the cactus and acacia trees may have dissimilar distributions of branch length.’
- ‘They resembled a cross between a cactus and an aloe vera plant; thick and fleshy, with hairs extruding from their tendrils.’
- ‘Like the cactuses it resembles, an aloe plant requires little care and grows quickly.’
- ‘The northeast is much more barren - there are more cactuses than palm trees in this semidesert.’
- ‘Scaling and barking injuries occur on stem surfaces of saguaro cacti.’
- ‘Aloe vera resembles a cactus, but is actually a perennial succulent which belongs to the lily family.’
- ‘Good weather is also an essential pre-requisite for the growth of cacti and succulent plants.’
- ‘It looked somehow like the surface of a cactus, the peyote cactus.’
- ‘Prickly pear cacti and large agave succulents, introduced from Mexico, grow everywhere in the north of the island.’
- ‘It has several gnarled trees, cactuses, oleanders, a crazy arrangement of pot plants, various graveside paraphernalia such as urns and framed photographs, and a rickety set of narrow pathways.’
- ‘Orchid, African violet and cactus are just a few of the special mixes available.’
- ‘The boyfriend bought a big cactus yesterday to add in with the banana plants etc.’
- ‘He finally got his cactus home, planted it in his backyard, and over time it grew to about two metres.’
- ‘The man-made structures are concealed by imaginative landscaping that includes coconut palms, hibiscus, cactuses, hammocks, bougainvillea, gardens and lawns opening to beach and sea.’
- ‘However, thorns on cactuses are a different thing.’
- ‘It searches among the yucca cactuses and Joshua trees for a lonely radar station atop a mountain peak.’
Early 17th century (in the sense ‘cardoon’): from Latin, from Greek kaktos ‘cardoon’.
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.