One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Involving or producing a harsh, discordant mixture of sounds.‘the cacophonous sound of slot machines’
loud, noisy, ear-splitting, blaring, booming, thunderous, deafeningView synonyms
- ‘He twists and turns in his efforts to get away from the cacophonous dissonance, and then untwists himself to get out of his sheets.’
- ‘Our past has become the cacophonous cathedral of the American conversation, while our once-ranging future has shrunk into a snug and warm place, as cozy and shag carpeted as a suburban den.’
- ‘Together, her many voices create for the reader a symphony, discordant thought not cacophonous, of her being.’
- ‘But the distortion is kept to a minimum as they reach for different tools to hit dizzying new heights, creating cacophonous peaks only to expertly let the moments implode into stark, hypnotic introspection.’
- ‘Energy, however, unless properly channeled, formally controlled and orchestrated, can end up as pandemonium - a lot of senseless rushing around and a merciless, cacophonous din.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.