One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A combination of knitted stitches done to resemble twisted rope.
- ‘I only put the cable stitches on the cable needle on the row that I am twisting the cable.’
- ‘Essentially, it shows how to strategically drop the first half of the cable stitches and pick them up after they have been crossed with the other half of the cable stitches.’
- ‘I have an old Shetland wool cardigan jacket, knitted in a massive cable stitch, that I tend to wear on chilly evenings.’
- ‘A whole space baby-wave is worked the same except thread is carried one whole space between cable stitches.’
- ‘The entire cable pattern with the purl stitch border is 8 stitches, but only the actual cable stitches need to be together on the same needle.’
- ‘For wider cables I might want a cable needle, although one could simply rearrange all the cable stitches on the needle before knitting them.’
- ‘You can also alternative the amount of cable stitches such as 3-1-3, this makes a point which could be used as the tops of hearts.’
- ‘To keep track of cable stitches in a pattern, write down the frequency of the cable rows in columns on a piece of paper.’
- ‘There are many beautiful effects that you can create simply by using combinations of cable stitches and wave or trellis stitches.’
- ‘The cable stitch is usually worked in #8 thread.’
- ‘Rows of cable stitches are combined with seed stitch panels to create lots of surface texture and design interest.’
- ‘If the cable stitches are held in the back of the work, it creates a cable cross to the right.’
- ‘Each cable strand is made up of eight cable stitches and then one tuck rib that's latched up by hand.’
- ‘Get ready for cable acrobatics by pinching the base of the cable stitches with your left thumb and forefinger.’
- ‘I wanted to start playing with the cable stitches, so I found some leftover yarn and started making swatches.’
- ‘If your knitted fabric was infinitely large, any cluster of cable stitches would be balanced out in the long run by clusters of knit stitches.’
- ‘Getting the cable stitch down is tricky at first because you have to alternate your stitches with floss up and floss down.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.