Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A type of modem that connects a computer or local network to broadband Internet service through the same cable that supplies cable television service.[as modifier] ‘a cable-modem connection’
- ‘Make sure the router is connected directly to your cable modem and your PC.’
- ‘It's especially important to run a firewall if you have high-speed Internet access through a cable modem or a DSL (digital subscriber line) connection.’
- ‘For one thing, connected to a broadband DSL or cable modem, it serves as a wireless access point.’
- ‘Nothing the installer does in the course of plugging a cable modem up to your computer will affect any of the things listed above.’
- ‘Spammers add to their zombie battalions by creating computer worms and viruses that can secretly take control of a computer connected to a DSL or cable modem.’
- ‘I then connect my cable modem to a wireless router with an 802.11 access point.’
- ‘Likewise, broadband via cable modem comes to every cable-TV drop you have in your home, giving you some location flexibility as well.’
- ‘This is how fast your cable modem is connecting.’
- ‘Indeed, a friend's computer was cracked less than a day after it was connected to his new cable modem last September.’
- ‘I am connected by a cable modem and have no network, although I plan on expanding to two computers soon.’
- ‘The Telecom Act of 1996 made no mention of DSL lines, cable modems or broadband Internet access.’
- ‘It didn't have the latest patches and anti-virus signatures, so when he connected it to his cable modem at home, it became infected.’
- ‘This customer had a cable modem connected to a hub and was given three dynamically assigned IP addresses.’
- ‘It's even more problematic than it sounds, because the broadband connection - a cable modem in this case - is in the basement.’
- ‘I have three desktop computers and a laptop, with Internet access provided by a cable modem and an ISDN line.’
- ‘Most current computers also have an Ethernet port for hooking up to a fast broadband DSL or cable modem.’
- ‘For the individual who connects their cable modem or DSL line directly to their PC, they should have some kind of personal firewall operating.’
- ‘I have a cable modem, so unless Internet traffic is heavy, a piece of music seven minutes in length can be on my computer in only a few minutes.’
- ‘The facility is linked by a wireless bridge to the house, which in turn has a cable modem connection to the Internet.’
- ‘Consumers use a cable modem to connect their PCs to the dish.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.