One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A boiled cabbage leaf that is formed into a roll with a stuffing of rice and minced meat and then baked.
- ‘The cabbage rolls are totally different from any I have had before - filled with a tangy rice mixture, they were cooked until very soft.’
- ‘Whether pizza or chow mein, cabbage rolls or plum pudding, Canadian cuisine is best characterized as eclectic rather than consistent in content.’
- ‘Burgers could take a dozen different forms, while meatloaves, pizza, cabbage rolls, meat pies, sloppy joes, tortilla wraps and stuffed peppers (not to speak of other stuffed vegetables) would round out the month.’
- ‘And, if you're hungry, go to the Ukrainian restaurant in the food court, and get perogies, a cabbage roll and kolbassa for under $6.’
- ‘The restaurant's stuffed cabbage rolls and grape leaves are the essence of mom food, thanks to a soft, savory mixture of ground meat and rice that would not seem out of place in a soul-food restaurant.’
- ‘Fried eggplant and falafel form the base of this pita sandwich, complemented by tomatoes, yogurt, cabbage rolls, onions, and lettuce.’
- ‘Other staples include cabbage in the form of sauerkraut or cabbage rolls, dark bread, potatoes, beets, barley, and oatmeal.’
- ‘Near the Visitation booth, members of St. Pius X Church, Mount Pleasant, served western Pennsylvania ethnic classics, perogies, cabbage and noodles and cabbage rolls.’
- ‘Sauerkraut, made from boiled cabbage, could also be mixed with pork and rice to make a cabbage roll.’
- ‘Nowhere does the homeyness come through more than in the daily special, which sometimes includes cabbage rolls, zucchini, eggplant and vine leaves - each stuffed with a concoction of meat and rice.’
- ‘‘Kailaan’ primarily is eaten raw, quickly stir-fried or steamed, but the raw leaves are so flexible that they make a great variation for stuffed cabbage rolls.’
- ‘Cut the cabbage rolls on the bias and place the two halves on each plate.’
- ‘Even the kebab shop, which normally has nice lentil salads and vine leaves and cabbage rolls etc, offered only felafels as the chicken/beef/lamb alternative.’
- ‘She also made the best fried chicken, plum cake, cabbage rolls, potato salad, and dumplings I (or my relatives and roommates) ever had.’
- ‘Other regional fare includes cabbage rolls, fried cheese stuffed with ham and a stew variation called Szegedin goulash, which substitutes pork for beef, and is served with sauerkraut.’
- ‘He took a seat at the table and speared one of the cabbage rolls with his fork and bit it in half.’
- ‘A craving for smoked sausages and cabbage rolls can definitely be satisfied here.’
- ‘To sum up: a heap is not a roll and cheese has no place in cabbage rolls.’
- ‘Be forewarned that classic cabbage rolls share the menu with tripe and ‘fresh laid chicken livers,’ along with house favourites like roast of wild boar.’
- ‘My five companions all chose schnitzel combos, which pair one piece of any type of schnitzel with other menu items, such as cabbage rolls or some pierogies.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.