Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Any of a number of palms or palmlike plants that resemble a cabbage in some way, in particular.
- ‘Oak-palm hammocks are home to the tall, beautiful cabbage palm, a hallmark of these fertile raised regions on the Myakka River floodplain.’
- ‘Barbados's Codrington College, founded in 1830, looks like an old Oxford college set incongruously amidst stately cabbage palms.’
- ‘Chusan palms and cabbage palms will dot the British landscape, even in inland colder areas, towards the end of the century.’
- ‘In addition to the cabbage palm, tall trees include American elm, laurel oak, pop ash, sugarberry, sweetgum, water hickory, and water locust.’
- ‘On a sultry autumn night, panther number 60, all eight-year-old male, stalked through a forest of pine trees and cabbage palms until he was stopped cold by a chain-link fence.’
- ‘But in the next breath he's anticipating aloud the virgin forest and spectacular cabbage palm a caller has invited him to see.’
- ‘Site preparation began with removal of about 250 small cabbage palms that had invaded the site.’
- ‘Chusan palms, tree ferns and cabbage palms frame a view of the large formal pond, which is dotted with water lilies and surrounded by lush herbaceous plantings.’
- ‘Its blinding flash lights up the cabbage palm foliage…’
- ‘Rather, cabbage palms, grape vines, and exotic grasses such as guineagrass often dominate.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.