Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A small fly whose larvae feed on the roots and stems of cabbages and related plants and can be a serious pest.
- ‘These cannot fly, and feed at, or near, soil level on slugs, leatherjackets and cabbage root fly grubs.’
- ‘Tar paper, cut into squares about six to eight inches across can be an effective barrier against cabbage root flies wishing to lay their eggs around the roots of cabbage plants.’
- ‘Having landed on a companion plant leaf, the cabbage root fly generally stays and causes no further problem.’
- ‘They feed on adult slugs as well as slug eggs, larvae of cabbage root flies and lettuce-root aphids.’
- ‘Put collars of roofing felt around the stems of your brassicas to stop cabbage root flies laying their eggs.’
- ‘The assessment of control of the cabbage root flies was carried out on the 26th July, by lifting the fifty-four plants and examining the roots by cutting them longitudinally and counting the larvae.’
- ‘It is hardly surprising that research on the olfactory ability of the cabbage root fly shows that they can smell cabbages.’
- ‘Laying carpet or cardboard around the base of plants will prevent many insects from laying their eggs e.g. raspberry beetles, gooseberry sawflies and cabbage root flies.’
- ‘Thyme is said to repel cabbage root flies.’
- ‘The collars should work for the cabbage root fly but you will definitely need some protection from birds or you may well have very little left in your brassica bed.’
- ‘Sprinkle Bromophos around the base of each seedling if cabbage root fly has been a problem in the past.’
- ‘And I also gave it a brassica collar to keep out any enterprising cabbage root flies which find a way through the fleece (or in case the fleece blows away, which is a distinct possibility!’
- ‘Researchers recorded many types of aphid on the wing several weeks later than average, for example, and some commercial growers reported problems with a large autumn generation of cabbage root flies.’
- ‘Also remember to dust the stems with an anti cabbage root fly preparation soon after planting.’
- ‘Thyme is a good companion for most plants, it is said to repel cabbage root flies when grown near brassicas.’
- ‘The MTT study showed that in early summer cabbage root flies laid far more eggs in Chinese cabbage than in head cabbage, both in laboratory and field conditions.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.