One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A cabin, hut, or shelter, especially one at a beach or swimming pool.
- ‘We dined by oil lamp under a thatched cabana and listened agog to virtuoso folk musicians (check out the boy with the kartals, Rajasthan's answer to castanets).’
- ‘Here we enjoyed a half-hour massage in a cabana overlooking the bay, then relaxed in lounge chairs, gazing out at the emerald-colored water.’
- ‘And once the logistics of bringing friends down to Belize became too complicated he decided to open its comfortable villas and cabanas to the public.’
- ‘All our exclusive managerial cabanas offer en suite lavatories and, from the windows, a dazzling prospect of major honours.’
- ‘A few of us have some drinks at a beach cabana near the hotel and a kid comes by offering, rather aggressively, to shine shoes.’
- ‘We would have to return at 6am the following morning, so we head back to the comforts of our little cabanas instead.’
- ‘Clubbers walk through a sparkling, gold-mirror tunnel at the entrance that's flanked by elevated seating and private booths and cabanas.’
- ‘The most secretive clients book into one of the 34 cabanas at the quieter southern end, with their own pool and beach.’
- ‘The resort's pool and beach areas will feature private poolside cabanas, two poolside bars and a poolside cafe.’
- ‘After breakfast, Amanda found a table under a cabana on the beach.’
- ‘Six permanent tented cabanas with raised wooden floors offer king beds, battery-operated lamps, and water views.’
- ‘They passed a white cabana towards the beach and walked in the wet sand as the tide splashed lazily onto the ground.’
- ‘It's got beach chairs, cabanas for rent and a heated fire-pit to keep you warm in winter.’
- ‘Down the coast at my Tulum cabana I peer out from the heat of the midday sun at a tourist pottering with intent on the beach.’
- ‘Luckily, he is on the outs with his girlfriend, and teenagers love to frequent the beach near his rented cabana.’
- ‘The spa comprises seven indoor treatment rooms and a cabana by the beach for oceanside massage.’
- ‘He has stood up by his cabana, mustered his courage and said what needs to be said.’
- ‘Framed by the nearby mountains, the oasis is complete with sandy beaches, cabanas, a spa and water slide.’
- ‘She motioned to the sisters and after stowing away all loose belongings, the women retired to the cabana to change into ceremonial dress.’
- ‘Recreation amenities include a half-mile of private ocean beach, two pools, private cabanas, a whirlpool, and a variety of watersports.’
Late 19th century: from Spanish cabaña, from late Latin capana, cavana ‘cabin’.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.