One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Following simple instructions identified or as if identified by numbers.‘painting by numbers’
- ‘It is 15 years since his critically-acclaimed debut, Let Love Rule, and Kravitz has headed straight for the comfort zone with another of his CDs by numbers.’
- ‘There may have been a certain critical backlash to this by those who assumed it was Hollywood trying to do Bollywood by numbers, but The Guru didn't have aspirations nearly as high as that.’
- ‘You can see this big drama up in the first five seconds, then this, then that, then that, so it's writing by numbers, making films by numbers and I think a lot of books are posited on the same kit.’
- ‘Does it at times feel like Woody Allen by numbers?’
- ‘Join the dots, colour by numbers - it's not like that, is it?’
- ‘REM - when did they start just doing REM by numbers?’
- ‘‘It's politics by numbers,’ says one strategist, for Conservatives to try to drive up the salience of an issue where they're out front.’
- ‘It is like making artists paint by numbers or a songwriter use the same four chords in the same order for every song (like Coldplay or Stereophonics).’
- ‘It is one of those variations of painting by numbers where figures are human years and the colors are usually photographs.’
- ‘With subtlety off the menu and with little variation in tempo, all the better for head-banging, it was Maiden by numbers, but great for singing along to.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.