One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Accidentally; in error.‘she'd left her purse at home by mistake’
by accident, accidentally, inadvertently, unintentionally, unwittingly, unknowingly, unconsciously, by mistake, by chance, misguidedlyView synonyms
- ‘Apparently the parcel wasn't for us, it was for a completely different house and he put the note through our door by mistake.’
- ‘I think my parents left the hospital with the wrong baby by mistake.’
- ‘Those are the banned substances most frequently taken by mistake by players.’
- ‘I thought he was a local drunk who had wondered into the group by mistake, until I realised he was handing out leaflets.’
- ‘In other words, I accidentally clicked on it by mistake while pasting it in, before getting up to grab a book from a shelf.’
- ‘I have taped up the door so I don't forget and go in there by mistake.’
- ‘I left my stylus at the club by mistake, so I'll get the manager to drive around to your place and give it to you.’
- ‘Going home from work in Oxford last night I accidentally got on the Bristol train by mistake.’
- ‘Unconfirmed reports last night suggested the double safety doors at the top and bottom of the tunnel were left open by mistake.’
- ‘Officials in Australia admit the passports were returned by mistake.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.