One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
By a great amount.‘this was by far the largest city in the area’
much, very much, considerably, markedly, immeasurably, decidedly, greatly, significantly, substantially, appreciably, noticeably, materially, signallyby a great amount, by a good deal, by a long chalk, by a long shot, by a long way, by a mile, far and awayView synonyms
- ‘Honey featured in many drinks because it was by far the most easily available sweetening agent.’
- ‘The most toxic substance known by far is the entirely natural botulinum toxin.’
- ‘Brian has been selling tickets for years and is by far the clubs best ticket seller.’
- ‘Wine has been produced here for 2,700 years and is still by far the major industry.’
- ‘This is by far the largest amount of cocaine ever to be seized in Durban, police said.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.