One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
By means of.‘he had gotten to where he was today by dint of sheer hard work’
by means of, by use of, by virtue of, on account of, as a result of, as a consequence of, owing to, by reason of, on grounds of, on the strength of, due to, thanks to, by, viaView synonyms
- ‘The song succeeds by dint of sheer density and passion.’
- ‘Creative work is done not by dint of will power, by some kind of mental exertion; instead, and paradoxically, it comes with the least effort, out of the blue.’
- ‘But one day by dint of sheer chance and perverse good luck Vernon happened to be struck by a rather smashing train of thought.’
- ‘She reaches this position by dint of sheer competence.’
- ‘Trying new and different products by dint of what new and different labels show up on the bar has become second nature to them.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.