One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Instructing another person to act in one's stead; by proxy.‘the wardens of the forests performed important duties by deputy’
- ‘Colonial offices were often granted to men who had obligations and duties in England, who had no intention of leaving England, and who performed their colonial duties by deputy.’
- ‘At that time the office was granted to the chancellor of England, who executed the duties by deputy.’
- ‘These clerks were appointed by patent for life, and were allowed to perform their duties by deputy.’
- ‘The Registrar shall discharge such duties in respect of examinations as may be delegated to him by the Senate and he may perform these duties by deputy.’
- ‘Either of these dignities was often conferred by way of compliment on the emperor, who usually discharged its duties by deputy.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.