One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Having previously made an arrangement to do something.‘visits are by appointment only’
- ‘Clients can be seen by appointment outside of opening hours’
- ‘Instinct makes sure I see them only in the room in my chosen working hours, from late morning or their lunchtime to early or mid-evening, and only by appointment.’
- ‘He may only travel to his solicitor's office in central London by appointment and carrying a letter proving such an arrangement had been made.’
- ‘I would have much preferred to see the place by appointment, even if 20 other people did the same.’
- ‘Additional visits can be arranged by appointment and they also cater for birthday and school parties.’
- ‘Inspections can be arranged by appointment with the auctioneer.’
- ‘This exhibition can be viewed by special arrangement with the organizers and by appointment only.’
- ‘Make sure to call ahead as visits are by appointment only.’
- ‘Tours outside these hours can also be arranged by appointment.’
- ‘Salesmen will still be able to visit private houses, but only by appointment.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.