One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
(following a negative) in any way; at all.‘I'm not poor by any means’
- ‘It wasn't glamorous by any means, but it was all so new and exciting to me.’
- ‘Don't get me wrong, they aren't terrible by any means but are just not overly impressive.’
- ‘We have not proven that by any means, and it is not a trivial assumption.’
- ‘He didn't drive slowly by any means, but he didn't try to impress people with his horsepower.’
- ‘This is not essential by any means, but it can help in certain projects.’
- ‘The graphics are good and clean, but they are not stunning by any means.’
- ‘Indonesian trade with Australia is convenient, but not critical by any means.’
- ‘The film doesn't purport to be a documentary by any means.’
- ‘It is not a well thought out performance by any means.’
- ‘Watering the garden plants is not an easy job, by any means.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.