One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Close to someone, especially so as to give them comfort or moral support.‘a stepson who stayed by your side when your own son deserted you’
- ‘I cannot see what Roy thinks of me, but he is the only person that I know who will stay by my side, no matter what.’
- ‘And all she could do was sit and feel quite helpless, wishing she was at Anna's side to comfort her and hold her hand.’
- ‘But, my dear lady, I wish to remain with you, to stay by your side and protect you in times of danger, and to assist you as you live out your destiny.’
- ‘She has told police that she is prepared to stay by his side for as long as it takes.’
- ‘She stayed by my side, and defended me when someone decided to say something negative to me.’
- ‘My guide was brilliant, he stayed by my side and kept me going all the time.’
- ‘It is beneficial to reassure your child that you will be staying by their side, and promote the idea that the hospital is a safe place to be.’
- ‘I long to be by your side to comfort you in your time of pain.’
- ‘I wanted to make sure these people were going to stay by my side and they were going to love me until I left.’
- ‘But, now that I have returned, I would like to take this opportunity to promise to stay by your side forever.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.