One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
plural nounNorth American
A type of boxer shorts.
- ‘Every afternoon he watched television in his BVDs.’
- ‘He has the finest selection of briefs, boxers, and BVDs in the realm!’
- ‘It was the first time I ever drank beer, and I wandered off because all I could think about was Peter in his BVDs.’
- ‘Just me and him in our BVDs, watching television and munching on chips.’
- ‘Unsure of the local etiquette, I'm hesitant to strip down to my BVDs and dive in.’
Late 19th century: abbreviation from the name of the manufacturers; the mistaken full form in folk etymology is babies' ventilated diapers.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.