Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A synthetic rubber made by polymerizing isobutylene and isoprene.
- ‘Depending on the type and location of the flashings, roofing tar or silicone or butyl rubber sealants can be used to seal small cracks and gaps.’
- ‘The old butyl rubber hood has been replaced with a flame resistant material to protect against a vehicle fire and a new drinking system, which increases hydration capacity.’
- ‘In his design, Kuma paid special attention to the changing visual quality of this material; butyl rubber and plastic screws were selected for the construction, so as not to diminish the lightness and translucency of the plastic.’
- ‘Gloves made of butyl rubber, nitrile, and fluoride-containing hydrocarbon polymer (ie, Viton) have been shown to provide adequate protection from glutaraldehyde.’
- ‘And flashing is made of butyl rubber, which bonds better and lasts longer than conventional materials, says one building science consultant.’
- ‘The body mounts are made f a micro-cellular urethane / butyl rubber compound and are tuned specifically for their purpose.’
- ‘The mask is made of butyl rubber, is very hot and doesn't fit the face very well.’
- ‘The ‘Solution’ basketball features a 100 percent high-performance butyl rubber bladder for air retention and more than 3,000 meters of three-ply nylon thread, which provides shape retention and bounce.’
- ‘PVC and butyl rubber gloves can be used for spraying and they are also suitable for handling and silage additives.’
- ‘We measured 3.0 g of each soil (field moist) into two sets of 38-mL serum vials, sealed the vials using butyl rubber septa and crimp seals, and removed oxygen by flushing for [sim] 3 min with ultra high purity [N.sub.2] gas.’
butyl rubber/ˌbyo͞odl ˈrəbər/
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.